Winterizing your home is the very important to make sure your pipes don’t freeze and burst during the cold winter months. It’s especially important for those who travel often or spend the winter months in different place . it’s smart to winterize because a burst pipe or frozen water pipes can cause major damage to your home or business.
If this Happens, you can trust our fast and Professional team of experienced plumbing experts at Excellent Plumbing to quickly take care of this problem for you, any time of the day or night, any day of the week. We’re the premier Chicagoland plumbing company that is here to help with any plumbing emergency such as frozen pipes.
It’s important to prepare your house for the winter, especially if you live in a cold-weather region like Chicago where temperatures are often below freezing. Winter can be unpredictable, but you can definitely count on cold spells, so if you plan on doing any travelling or staying away from your home during the winter, it’s important to winterize your home to ensure the prevention of frozen or burst pipes.
During the winter months, water coming in to the house from outside is colder than at any other time of the year. This colder water may cause your pipes to contract and if it freezes, the pipes may burst. That’s why it’s important to check all of your pipes before the winter months and make sure your home or business is winterized.
How to Keep Pipes from Freezing
- Have a couple of your faucets run very slowly to prevent the line from freezing if it gets very cold.
- Make sure that warm air is getting to areas such as your basement or any crawl spaces or within cabinet doors where your faucet is located.
- Use insulation products like heat tape to warm pipes during cold weather.
- Make sure there are no leaks where your pipes are located. Use caulk or insulation to make sure the pipe doesn’t freeze and burst.
If you are going on vacation or will be out of town for an extended period of time, take the following steps to prevent pipes from freezing:
- Find the main valve and shut the water off. Shutting off the main valve eliminates unwanted pressurized water from entering your home.
- After the main valve is shut off, open all the faucets and allow the water to drain. Pressurized water is sent to your home from the main valve, so the remaining water in your pipes may freeze and/or burst in extremely cold conditions. That’s why it’s important to let the water drain after the main is shut off.
- Adjust your thermostat so that it’s set to 55 degrees or above to ensure that your pipes don’t freeze
If you have any questions about your home or business is properly winterized, call the us at Excellent Plumbing. We’ve been providing high quality plumbing services all across Chicago for years and will help give you the peace of mind that your pipes won’t freeze and burst during the cold winter months.
Home Winterization Services
- Hot Water Heater Winterization
We will turn off the heat source to your hot water heater and drain it.
- Winterize Toilet
We will shut off the valve, drain your bowl, and add nontoxic plumber’s antifreeze to your toilet.
- Winterize Plumbing
Excellent Plumbing will insulate any water pipes or lines that need to be protected from the cold weather.
What to do if Your Pipes Freeze
Call Excellent Plumbing. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you are in the Chicago area and are in need of emergency plumbing services. It’s critical to call as soon as you notice any problems so we can help mitigate the damage caused from frozen pipes.